Saturday, January 07, 2017

BAPTISM OF JESUS

I chose the following scripture because I had never actually read it, but I was able to extrapolate a greater understanding of how Jesus became known, about the name Yaweh, and how great his stature was on earth and is in heaven. 
~*~
John the Baptist’s Testimony to Jesus.
29The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.30He is the one of whom I said, ‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’
31I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel.”32John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him.33I did not know him,but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.’34Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
~*~
Where to begin with this reading?  Close your eyes and try to imagine yourself in the clothing of the time, standing with other men and women on the shore, waiting your turn to be baptized by John the Baptist. But wait, there is a man approaching and he's coming all alone.
John sees him and stops to immediately identify the man to the waiting crowd of people. 

'
A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ 
Image result for jesus being baptized by john the baptistIt was divine intervention that John the Baptist knew on sight the identity of the man. Deciphering the above quote of John, "coming after me", he has always existed, for he is the Divine Human form of God, himself, "who ranks ahead of me", means he is the most nobel Son of God, "because he existed before me", the man existed in the heaven  because he was God in heaven before he came down and became flesh.` 
He readily admits that he did not know the man, but had been told (by whom? The Holy Spirit, of course!) John the Baptist has been informed of who this man is and that by his, John's, baptizing of Jesus, it would make all of Israel know him.
 They go through the baptism of Jesus, but not before The Holy Spirit comes down from heaven and rests on Jesus, which was the confirmation. THEN he was baptized. 
"Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
Imagine yourself standing there on the shore by a fig tree, witnessing the baptism and introduction of the "Son of God" for the first time. What an amazing thing to witness. I would be dumbstruck and probably find it impossible to move away from Jesus.
People for years had heard that there would be a Messiah coming forth from the heavens, and that people will see angels in the hundreds come down from heaven. Please note tha this has yet to occur and will occur during the second coming.
This is so POWERFUL! How do you go on as you had before? At least one man became his first Disciple. To drop everything and know that you should follow Jesus is also a very powerful thing. This is where Jesus began to take on his Disciples, telling them to drop everything, to bring nothing with them, some being a little doubtful, yet they followed. In time, they would witness his sermons with awe, they would witness the healing of people everywhere he went and this evidenced that he was, indeed, the Son of God.
You've left everything to follow the Son of God. And soon you learn that name is Yahweh. As written in Philipians 2:9-11, Yahweh is a name above all others on earth and in heaven. People followed him everywhere, and the crowds following were growing.  To me, Jesus had a charismatic essence. God and salvation is what he preached. And he was quite clever at building parables that touched you to the point that you could not forget them, you contemplated them. People longed to hear all he had to say, to be a part of Yahweh every day, no matter where he went. His sermons engaged you to the point that you knew, you BELIEVED, this was the Son of God!
Philippians 2:9-11
Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
What about understanding his name?  To see just how breathtaking this statement really is, we must understand what Paul, as the author, had in mind. He is quoting the LORD speaking through the Prophet Isaiah:
"Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness
 a word that shall not return: "To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance." Only in the LORD, it shall be said of me, are righteousness and strength; to him shall come and be ashamed
 all who were incensed against him, and the LORD all the offspring of Israel 
shall be justified and shall glory"
We are given a quite honest command regarding the Son of God. But as we know, the only path to heaven is through God's Son, Jesus Christ. This is your first priority, and because we are all sinners, this is whom we profess our allegiance and trust Him with our deepest agony at confessing our sins in prayer.  When we finish, we feel renewed, calm, and like out tank has been relieved of its emptiness and is now refueled. Continue on the path you are on with Jesus. He IS the source of YOUR salvation. He died FOR YOU. He suffered a horrendous scourging and hanging on the cross with nails in his hands and feet. He hung there until he died. The entire time he hung on the cross, deep, dark clouds hovered all the area. They were so dark that it was almost like the night.
Living for Jesus, knowing without any doubt that he is with you and will watch over you, it is something so soft because your whole life, the weight of your problems are lifted if you just free yourself by giving your worries to Jesus. I want that for every person in this world, and I began posting on Twitter for the purpose of winning souls for Jesus! Indeed, it is a labor of extreme love!
Lovingly for you in the name of Jesus Christ,
ABBEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS FOR ABBEY♥