Friday, December 02, 2016

BUILD YOUR HOUSE ON THE ROCK

Matthew 7:21, 24-27

Jesus said to his disciples: 
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
will enter the Kingdom of heaven,
but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

“Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them
will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house. 
But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. 
And everyone who listens to these words of mine
but does not act on them
will be like a fool who built his house on sand. 
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house. 
And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”



~*~

Does this scripture sound a little familiar? It reminds me of the three little pigs building their houses to get away from the big, bad wolf!

On the serious side, Jesus is telling each of us to build our faith on a foundation that is strong and cannot be moved by even the strongest storm in our lives. Pity those who do not know Jesus and build their hopes on false promises, selfishness, and everything that goes against God's commandments. They will be struck down and will not pass Jesus and meet the Father.

Remember what he says, "Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock." Of course, this is a strong metaphor, but it drives home the point Jesus is making.

It is not enough to say "I believe" or "I have faith" ...... NO! You must act on what is God's words; YOU MUST LIVE IT. Conduct yourselves in a Christian-like manner. Practice living a life that reflects Jesus in you. Live a life that peope will remember "he is a true Christian". Pity those who do not believe. I talk of Jesus in some crowds and everyone just looks at me! I cannot quite find the words as to how I feel when this happens. I'm not going to preach to them. If they do not see Jesus living in me with The Holy Spirit, and they choose to ignore it or snicker about it our of my hearing, I do pity them. And I almost become angry, but Jesus stops the anger. You can take a horse to water, but you cannot ever make him drink.

Set your faith on a strong rock high up on the mountain so that when Jesus comes for His people and the skies fill with smoke and the days the skies are full of fire, He will protect you from harm, and eventually, you will be among the blessed to be taken by Jesus, himself, up into the heavens to me His Father, GOD.

The song "Beautiful Savior" comes to mind. See below. Jesus is named in Merriman-Webster's Dictionary:

Definition of savior

  1. 1:  one that saves from danger or destruction
  2. 2:  one who brings salvation; specifically capitalized :  jesus 1

A short story: A friend of mine's husband whose sister is an alcoholic. She used to live with her elderly mother who has alzheimer's and now lives with the son and his wife. She has not tried in two years to get a job. Rather, she spent her money on rent and alcohol. Now she is completely destitute. I need to say that she ran up her elderly mother's credit cards when she lived with her. The son has told her that she has to pay back the tens of thousands she has taken. He is Power of Attorney and his mother said "don't give her any more money". She called them two nights ago saying she needed money for food. The son, in spite of his anger at her for her past transgressions wants to go and buy her some groceries and not give her money so she can buy liquor. The wife says he should obey his mother's wishes to not give her any money. HOWEVER, the elderly woman suffering from alsheimers makes you wonder if she meant what she said, if she knew her daughter's situation.

It is a family situation that must be decided by the son. But I had to tell them what I felt about this situation. I said, "It is Christmas, a season of giving without expecting anything in return. What would Jesus do? I believe he would ask her to make out a grocery list and I would go buy her groceries and take them to her, thereby avoiding giving her money to buy liquor. On the other hand, his wife feels if he starts this, it will never stop. I am praying for them in this difficult choice. I believe I know which avenue the son will choose. He is a Godly man and he'll do what is right. Would you help your sister who was destitute but had taken thousands of dollars from her mother without the mother realizing it before she was diagnosed with Alzheimers?

I cannot help how I feel and I feel that this is right: Jesus would help the poor and tell them to sin no more.

Lovingly in Christ this Advent Season,
ABBEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS FOR ABBEY♥