Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, “If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples. You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are descendents of Abraham and we have never been slaves to anyone. How can you say that you will set us free?”
Jesus answered, “Amen, Amen I say to you. Whoever commits sin is the slave of sin. A slave does not stay in the house forever but the son always remains. Therefore, if the son sets you free, you shall be free indeed.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These Jewish believers have limited faith and Jesus must challenge them.
- They still cling to Abraham and are not certain about Jesus.
- Abraham could not forgive sins or bestow eternal life.
- Without Jesus, they remain slaves and will be ejected from the Kingdom.
- By believing in Jesus, they themselves can become sons of God.
- They will have the right to live forever in God’s house.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do I truly believe? Is my faith full and deep?
- To be God’s child, I must abide in your word and walk on your path.
- O Jesus, without you, I am a slave, a slave to sin and a slave to death.
- Change me, Jesus. Change me from slave to son.
- You call me to live forever in your Father’s house.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I believe that Jesus is unique, the only Son of God.
- I will seek Jesus’ saving power in confession.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
If the Son frees you, you are free indeed.
Today's Gospel quotes the words of Jesus, the words that are the infinite truth. He is preaching in the Temple and the Jews challenge Him as being the Son of God with all its powers against the God of Abraham. Ignorance is bliss, so imagine Jesus explaining to them in his infamous way that he is the true son of God and it is through his words and direction that the Jews must do as he says because it is what his Father God has told him to say. Reject sin and have a place in the Kingdom of heaven forever. Continue to sin and worship false Gods and be doomed to Hell for all eternity.
We are ALL SLAVES TO SIN! It is impossible not to sin; but, it is possible to take each step, one day at a time, and consider whether or not your next step will be an act of sin. We still are unable to do this, but as Christians who have the deep, abiding love and trust in the Son that we live consciously every day that sin is in us and around us.
Do you wish to do things that hurt Christ (sin) and remain outside the gates of heaven, forever denied entrance? Or, will you pray every day that with Jesus' help, you will not sin against him and therefore, have the opportunity to remain in the house of God, sinless and above reproach?
Only through your personal relationship with Jesus Christ can you be forgiven your sins and remain in "the house" with Him!
Read the Thoughts, Affections and Resolutions out loud one more time. Feel the Sacred Heart of Jesus entering your body. His glorious reign in your lives will bring happiness, joy, peace, love eternal, and security. As Christians, it is impossible to not truly feel Jesus and The Holy Spirit guiding your steps daily.
What a way to live! It is so powerful, so absolute! Jesus loves you and you should be saving all your love for him. You should not worship material things, but be satisfied with what God has provided, the most important being His Son on the Cross at Calvary.
I can attest that since I fully allowed Jesus to claim my life, I have lived a happier and more care-free existence. I know that he is with me always. It is a very powerful thing to think that the Son can be with each of us, billions of us, all at the same time. We are sharing something so holy all together. What a beautiful feeling!
Lovingly in Jesus,