Prayer: O Spirit of God, descend upon me.
Imagination: (Imagine Jesus meeting John by the Jordan River)
In Matthew’s gospel, John is reluctant to baptize because he realizes the greater holiness of Jesus. After the baptism, God’s fullness upon Jesus is manifested.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. However, John said, “I should be baptized by you and yet you come to me.” Jesus answered him, ‘Let it be for now so we can fulfill all justice. So, he allowed him. After being baptized, Jesus came out of the water and behold, the heavens were open and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and coming upon him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Father’s plan was happening as scheduled.
- At the right moment, Jesus comes to the Jordan.
- John grows confused. Although Jesus is holier, he submits to his Baptism.
- This is all part of God’s plan.
- When both are obedient to the Father, the heavens open up.
- The Spirit’s power rests upon Jesus.
- The Father approves Jesus as his beloved Son.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you are all holy yet you submit to the Father’s will.
- O God, you have a plan for my life.
- I will be faithful and obedient to all your desires.
- I await your call. I listen for your voice.
- O Holy Spirit, rest upon me.
- O Jesus, make me beloved to the Father.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask Jesus to send his Holy Spirit to rest upon me.
- I will seek to be beloved of the Father.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
The Spirit in the form of a dove came to rest on him.